Take extra care on winter roads29/05/2019 10:34am
Over winter we all need to take extra care and make sure we are driving to suit the conditions. That goes for everyone – motorists, cyclists and motorcyclists too.
From the start, making sure you have good visibility is crucial. Take the time to demist and de-ice your windscreen, all windows and mirrors before you hit the road. It’s important you can see all other road users all around your vehicle and you’re not just peering out of a small hole in the ice.
Nelson City Council has a limited supply of ice scrapers to give away from the Customer Service Centre on Trafalgar Street. Be in fast to collect yours while they last.
Gritting the road doesn’t act like glue. You may only get up to 15% more grip on a gritted road than an icy road so there are some things you need to keep in mind.
- Slow down
- Stopping distances can increase by up to ten times
- Allow more time for your journey
- Increase your following distance
- Watch out for ice in shady areas and on bridges
- Check your tyre pressure
- See and be seen
This is a major issue in winter so here are some ways to reduce the risk.
- Drive with lights on dip in rain, snow or fog.
- Use your vehicle’s demister or air conditioning to keep windows clear.
- Watch out for sun strike in the winter sunlight.
- Keep your windscreen cleaner reservoir topped up.
- Cover your windscreen on frosty nights or use an ice scraper or cold water to totally clear your screen of ice.
Above all, remember the speed limit isn’t a target. The safest way to get where you need to go this winter is to slow down and drive to the conditions.